Unfortunatly, after putting my Vodafone SIM in the phone, 3G didn't work :( And a little bit later I found that I could recieve SMS messages, but not send them.
After a bit of searching I found solutions for both problem. However, to fix them you need root access. It took a while, but it is available now for the Droid 3:
Rooting the Droid 3
For the 3G connectivity the following file seems to contain the wrong information for the Vodafone network.
For Vodafone it contains:
Which is probably the information required when you have a US Verizon account and roam over here on the Vodafone network. But when you have a Vodafone NL SIM it doesn't work. So I changed the definitions in the file to:
Still, after rebooting the phone, no 3G network! Strange.. Searching further it looked like the user and password information is not getting to the ppp daemon. I found the following suspect, which is:
Which contains the following:
So I replaced the user and password lines with:
Restarted the phone, and it worked, 3G connectivity :)
Next was the SMS sending problem. That was a little bit easier to find. The file:
contains the line:
Change that variable to 0, restart the phone and you've got working SMS :)
Don't know if all the issue's are fixed now, but at least I didn't run into new ones (yet) ;)